Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Pumpkin Pie Pancakes (Vegan and Grain Free)


I don't even know where to start explaining how good these pancakes are!  These are easier than ever to make when you bake them in the oven.  It might sound weird, but it still tastes delicious.  I thought it would be healthier too, because instead of frying them on a griddle, your baking them.  These pancakes are my moms favorite; she will walk around the kitchen eating them without any syrup or toppings.  I loved this recipe so much that Iv'e been trying to improve them as much as I could.

These pancakes are insanely tasty, and especially because they are topped with raw chocolate sauce and coconut whip cream.  I snuck some quinoa inside of these pancakes with blending in the taste with the other ingredients.  I feel so amazing eating grain free foods, that's why I am transitioning to a more grain free diet.  Of course, I will still eat some grains, but not as much as I was before.  In the past I would of never thought you could mix flours like almond and quinoa together--with some recipes like this you can.  I guess the quinoa taste is disguised with the pumpkin, so I thought, "what I perfect match."


The funny thing is, I never would of thought that I would always be cooking up a storm in the kitchen. As a young girl, I used to think that I would be a fashion designer, or a professional crafty person.  I always loved designing and decorating things.  It was my way of expressing the creative and fun side of me.  I would go to school, learn about the main subjects, and then come back to my home sweet home and start making something pretty.  Sometimes the things I made were far from pretty, but the small creations of beaded necklaces or a artsy cards lifted my spirits as I would glance at them.  So when I first started cooking and fixing different dishes, I barely knew how to assemble a salad, make a simple smoothie, or basic muffins.  I scarcely knew anything about nutrition too.  My meals looked something like this: gluten free muffins or store bought waffles with fruit, cooked broccoli and brown rice, a Lara bar, veggie straws, and carrots and celery.  It wasn't that bad, but it wasn't that great either.  In the back of my mind I knew I probably should be eating more salads, but I disliked the lettuce Spring Mix with the Amy's or Honey Dijon Mustard Dressing I used to eat.  After eating one of my salads I thought, "I am so hungry" and "this never fills me up".  I was majorly fixed on eating typical carb based foods that didn't taste that good, which I thought tasted good at the time because my taste buds were blinded.  Eventually, your body will get used to it, and eating lighter will be no biggie. 


Here is list of my favorite, fulfilling recipes that you can try for healthy and nutritious meal planning.....

Breakfast: these Pumpkin Pie Pancakes, or Refreshingly Wild Fruit Salad.

Snack: BBQ Kale Chips, or (something quicker that I have been loving lately) sliced radishes with sea salt and a walnut on top.

Lunch: Sweet Garden Salad + Hemp Ranch, or Fiesta Salad or Nachos (Vegan and Corn Free.)

Snack: an apple, pear, or banana with raw almond butter (salt the almond butter with a small amount of sea salt) and you can even top it with cacao nibs, or Baked Sweet Potato Fries.

Dinner: Light Nourishing Soup, or Vegan Tacos From Scratch.

Desserts (for anytime of the day): Raw Chocolate Chip Cookies, Chocolate Fruit Cream Pie with Chewy Brownie Crust, or Vanilla Cupcakes with Magenta Whip (Vegan and Gluten Free.)

These are just some some ideas, and you don't have to eat everything healthy at once, just start with one change at a time.  Maybe you can choose to eat one healthy food today, and then make another change tomorrow.  Each change can make a big difference.  I loved watching this wonderful you tube video where Sarah Britton said that one simple change a day becomes 365 changes in one year.  (Her blog is super amazing too!)  This you tube video was super inspirational, and it made me think that one change at a time can eventually be bigger than ever!




Pumpkin Pie Pancakes (Vegan and Grain Free)


Ingredients:
  • 3/4 cup pumpkin puree (here is a good one that's BPA free)
  • 1 cup warm water
  • 1 cup quinoa flour
  • 1 cup almond flour
  • 3/4 tsp pumpkin spice
  • 1/2 cup coconut sugar
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 3/4 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 tbsps coconut oil
  • 2 tbsps arrowroot starch
  • a small amount of coconut oil if your going to use a griddle or skillet
Directions:

1. Preheat the oven on 400F., or preheat a griddle or skillet at medium-high heat.  If you oven bake your pancakes, line two baking sheets with parchment paper.

2. In a medium sized bowl, sift the quinoa flour, almond flour, pumpkin spice, coconut sugar, baking powder, and arrowroot starch together.  Add the rest of the ingredients and blend with an electric blender until smooth.

3. Pour 5-6 small amounts of the batter onto each of the baking sheets and smooth the tops until the circles are round and as thick as you want them.  Bake the pancakes in the oven for 14 minutes.  If the pancakes are thick, then you might to consider flipping them and cooking them for another 4-5 minutes. If your cooking with a griddle or skillet, grease the top with a small amount of coconut oil and pour on a small amount of the batter and cook them until they are lightly crispy on each side.

  • This recipe makes 10-12 pancakes.


Coconut Whip Cream

Ingredients:
  • the fat of one chilled can of coconut milk (this one is the best and least expensive brand) drain any water.
  • 2 packets of stevia
  • 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
Directions:

In a small bowl, smash the coconut fat chunks and then blend all of the ingredients with an electric blender until a whip is formed.  Keep the coconut whip in the fridge until it's ready to serve.


Chocolate Sauce

Ingredients:
  • 2 tbsps of your favorite nut butter (I use pumpkin seed butter, or almond butter)
  • 2 tbsps coconut oil
  • 3/4-1 tbsp coconut nectar or any sweetener of your choice
  • 1/2 tbsp cacao powder
Directions: 

In a small bowl, mix all of the ingredients together. 


Extra Toppings and Fruit:
  • apples slices
  • pumpkin seeds
  • pecans
  • sprinkle on pumpkin spice (optional)


No comments:

Post a Comment