Saturday, February 1, 2014

Italian Cranberry Salad + Orange Basil Dressing



I was so in the mood for an Italian salad with lots of new flavor--a salad I've never tried before.  I try to at least eat one big nourishing salad a day.  I am not just saying this, but it's one of my favorite meals of the day! Honestly, I used to dislike salads because the ones I ate never tasted that good.  All my recipes of salads are ones I could eat again and again.  I Like this salad and this one.  Here is a great salad dressing too.  In case any of you didn't know, healthy salads have major nourishing capacities. Chewing your food well brings enzymes into it, thereby, helping you absorb more nutrients.  Your stomach doesn't have teeth, so if you don't chew properly, it can impact your digestion.  A great amount of energy goes towards digestion, some health experts say 50% or more!  Here is a wonderful articles that goes into excellent detail on the importance of chewing your food well.



Italian Orange Basil vinaigrette

Ingredients:
  • 4 juiced oranges
  • 1/4 cup coconut vinegar or whatever vinegar you like
  • 1/4 cup macadamia oil
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 2 tbsps coconut nectar
  • 1-2 tsp nutritional yeast
  • 2 tsps arrowroot starch
  • 2 tsps dried basil
  • 1 tsp sea salt
Directions:

In a food processor or blender, blend all of the ingredients.

  • This makes a little over 1 1/2 cup of dressing.

For the Salad:
  • romaine lettuce
  • sprouts (I used broccoli sprouts)
  • dried cranberries
  • cubed oranges
  • red onion slices
  • quinoa
  • lentil beans
  • tomatoes
  • raw organic cheese or a vegan cheese (shredded)
Directions:

In a bowl, add all of the ingredients and pour the orange basil dressing on top.



No comments:

Post a Comment