Thursday, December 26, 2013

Baked Sweet Potato Fries


A long time ago I ate some sweet potato fries in a restaurant in Disney Land, and they seemed to be too sweet and soggy.  Long since then, I never dared to eat them until the day I decided I was going to make my own.  The first time I made them I used olive oil.  After reading about how coconut oil is a better cooking alternative, I immediately switched.  Coconut oil doesn't go as rancid at high heats like other oils do.  When other oils go rancid they start to oxidize, and the oxidization can make you age faster.  To find more information on this topic, click here.  That is one reason I mainly cook with coconut oil.  Besides, it has such a light taste that it goes well with most recipes.


     
    Sweet Potatoes Are....     
  • high in Beta Carotene
  • an excellent source of vitamin A  
  • a very good source of vitamin C
  • capable of improving your blood sugar regulation
  • considered a low glycemic starchy vegetable



Baked Sweet Potato Fries 

This recipe serves two


Ingredients:    

  • 2 large sweet potatoes
  • 2 tbsps coconut oil
  • A few sprinkles dill seasoning or any others you like (I like to use deliciously dill seasoning from the Spice Hunter.)
  • Sea salt or Himalayan salt to taste.



Directions:

1. Preheat the oven at 400F.  Lay parchment paper over the top of 2 baking sheets.  

2. With a sharp knife, chop the sweet potatoes into 1/2 inch thick slices.  In a strainer, warm the sweet potatoes with hot water for about 20 seconds.  Place the sweet potato slices into a medium sized bowl and add in the coconut oil.

3. With your hands or with gloves on, mix the oil and sweet potatoes together.  Spread the sweet potatoes onto the baking sheets and cook them for 36-38 minutes.  Sprinkle on the salt and seasoning.  Serve with your favorite ketchup and pickles or whatever you like. 



No comments:

Post a Comment