Saturday, March 15, 2014

Blueberry Lime Cheesecake (Raw)


For St. Patricks Day I made this raw cheesecake and colored it a light green with an avocado.  You can eat this cheesecake any time of the year though, and you don't have to add in the avocado if you don't want to.  One of my favorite parts of this cheesecake was slicing it and finding blueberries inside--and of course, eating it!  Making this cheesecake was the most delightful part, because each time I whip up a raw cheesecake, I find each one different and exciting.  There is so many different things I want to create with pies and cheesecakes.  Honestly, they are my favorite desserts to make--ever!  I have seen so many beautiful ones created that it inspires me to go whatever direction my heart leads me. Some fun things I have learned about on how to make pies and cheesecakes shine with so much loveliness is theses three strategies.

First, you have to come up with an idea on what you want your pie/cheesecake to look like.  Sometimes a great idea doesn't just walk into my head until I start making the dessert.  Inspiration for a beautiful dish seems to grow the more you make and fix foods.

Here's a big one--color!  Without enough color, where is the presentation?  The colors are like the flame on a candle, or the saltiness in a savory dish.  I guess that's one of the reasons why fixing delicious meals are so drawing to me.  I am still developing how to make mouthwatering foods in my own kitchen, but these ideas stuck with me on my journey.

To top them all off, one of the simplest things to do to add enchantment to pies and cheesecakes is placing real fruit or some type of drizzle on top.  Emily (the creator of "This Rawsome Vegan Life") creates gorgeous pies and cheesecakes using simple fruits and drizzles, which makes her desserts come to life.  If you want any other ideas, I would defiantly stop by her site.

I know there's probably a lot more, but Iv'e just listed the basics.

     

Springform pans make pie making as easy as, you know, pie.  I got mine for around seven dollars on black friday, but I think you can get them as cheap as twelve dollars or less.

Once I made a delicious strawberry chocolate cheesecake with a chocolate crust and strawberry filling.  The prettiest part about it was the sliced strawberries on top.  Oh man, and it tasted like the best strawberry cheesecake Iv'e ever made.  Nothing can go wrong with chocolate, right?  It can complete a dessert with just a few ingredients.  A slice of raw cheesecake in my fridge is not uncommon in my house.  I got to say it's the best when you're devastatingly craving something rich and fulfilling.

I hope your day is filled with sweet and flavorful food,
                                                                                        Melanie




Blueberry Lime Cheesecake (Raw)


Pecan Crust 

Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 cup pecans
  • 1/4 cup + 2 tbsps coconut butter
  • 2 1/2 tbsps coconut nectar
  • 3 tbsps cashew butter
Directions:

1. Cut out a circle of parchment paper a little bigger than your springform pan and line the bottom with it.

2. In a food processor, blend the pecans until they form small chunks.

3. In a separate bowl, add the pecan chunks and the rest of the ingredients and mix well.  Smash any coconut butter clumps that are big and visible.

4. Pour the crust in a medium sized springform pan and place it in the freezer and start making the filling.

Note: the crust is thick, so if you want a thinner crust, take out a little for an extra snack when huger strikes.


Blueberry Lime Filling 

Ingredients:
  • 1 cup cashew butter
  • 1/2 cup coconut butter
  • 1 tbps nutritional yeast
  • 1/4 cup coconut nectar
  • 1/2 cup full fat coconut milk (chilled)
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 2 1/2 tbsps lime juice
  • 1 avocado for green color (optional)
  • 1/3 cup blueberries + extra for the top (frozen or fresh)
  • 1 lime
Directions:

1. In a food processor, blend the cashew butter and coconut butter until smooth.

2. Blend the rest of the ingredients except the blueberries and limes until well combined. 

3. Take the crust out of the freezer and pour the filling on top of the crust.  

4. Randomly insert the 1/3 cup of blueberries into the filling. (I used a toothpick to push each blueberry into the filling.) Smooth the top afterwards.  Slice the lime and then cut them into half moon shapes.  Place them on top and around the cheesecake.  Place one blueberry in the center and two in between each lime.  Look at my pictures above for any ideas.  

Note: if you were wondering how I made the limes look tie-dyed, all I did is rub my finders in some blueberries and gently painted parts of the tops.

5. Place the cheesecake in the freezer for 4-5 hours.  

6. Take out the cheesecake and drive a butter knife in and around the edges of the springform pan and pop it out. This cheesecake is best served cold.



No comments:

Post a Comment