Thursday, January 2, 2014

Comfort Food Salald


Today my mom was feeling sick so she asked me to make her some cooked broccoli and potatoes.  I made that, but I added much more to it.  I'm the kind of person that won't settle for for plain foods, because I love to add lots of flavor to them.  Delicious food is what gives my life a little zing.  This morning I wanted to put something tasty on my salads, but I didn't know what.  This half cooked salad is exactly what I was looking for.  It is really cold where I live so this warmed me up in a snap, and I bet it will do the same for you.



The Comfort Food Salad


For the Salad: 

  • frozen or fresh broccoli
  • kale
  • avocados
  • red potatoes and/or yukon potatoes

 Directions:

1. Pour hot water into 2 pots and place it on a stove unit with the temperature set on high and wait for them to come to a boil.  While the waters coming to a boil, chop the potatoes into cubes and add them into the boiling pot of water.  Reduce the heat to a 7 or medium-high heat.  Cook the potatoes for 18-20 minutes and stir occasionally.  To tell if the potatoes are done, stab a potato cube with a fork and see if it's soft and tender inside, if it's not, cook them a bit longer.

2. Also, when the other pot of water comes to a boil, add the broccoli into a metal strainer or steamer and place it into the boiling pot of water.  Reduce the heat to a 7 or medium-high heat.  Steam the broccoli for 7-10 minutes.  While the broccoli and potatoes are cooking, chop the avocados into small cubes and set aside. 

Note: when the potatoes and broccoli are done, but too hot to eat, you may want to pour cold water over the top so they will be warm quicker.

3. Wash the kale and dry it off with a salad spinner or use paper towels.  When the cooked vegetables are warm, add the kale and avocados.


Salad Toppings:

  • organic dijon mustard (I use Annie's)
  • nutritional  yeast
  • raw sunflower seeds to garnish
  • pepper to taste
  • himalayan salt to taste
  • the chef shake blend from the spice hunter or whatever seasoning blend you like

Directions:

Sprinkle and pour the ingredients onto the salad and adjust to your own liking.





No comments:

Post a Comment